Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 2

So today the running was a little bit easier, but I need to get in the habit of stretching before hand.

I will clearly be keeping a weave throughout this process although I really do miss my hair. I wonder what this new way of life will mean for my hair? I guess lots of more naturally curly styles...

While I was gone last weekend a family friend died. I've known him literally my entire life, I think he was there when I was born. I grew up playing with his stuck up daughter-we probably fought more then we played. And having an enormous crush on his too old for me son, who was also the best friend of my cousin (who I was also planning to marry-I was 5 don't judge me).

Two months ago he was diagnosed with Leukemia, he talked to my step dad and told him he was "fine" he was going to fight it, and he felt pretty much ok. He died on Friday at 2am. His wife of nearly 40 years orchestrated the memorial of his death for 4pm Saturday- 400 ppl showed up, there was a repass held afterward and there was enough donated food to feed all of them.

I am so hurt for his wife and daughter (his son died 6 years ago of an asthma attack). I can't imagine waking up one morning and the person that laid next to you for decades is no longer there. Its just such a shift to be at the part of my life where people that are my parents age are falling victim to fatal illnesses.

Morbid I know, but I've been thinking of that this week.

In happy news I'm looking forward to my nightlife this weekend, trying some places i haven't yet been and keeping up my running regiment despite the fact that I am going to do my hair tonight.

2 comments:

jendayi said...

Sorry to hear of the loss. =(

mia. said...

I can't even imagine going on after a lifetime of love and sharing and support... Bear has been with me all of three months and already I've become so used to him being there.

40 years? I would be heartbroken.

My condolences to you and your family, sis.