Monday, August 27, 2007

The Weekend Recap

Last week was so busy! So I was very much looking forward to this weekend and the option of doing absolutely nothing. J went out of town, my sister went out of town so I was going to have a lot of me time, which I was sorta looking forward to.

Fri: Anytime I leave the office at 6:30 on a Friday...it has clearly been a long week. So I decided that after I submitted all that I had due I would take myself on a date to the movies. I saw Superbad. There were parts of that movie where I thought I might get thrown out for laughing too loud, or too long. Now granted, one of the kids in the movie, Michael Cera, was in my all time favorite tv comedy "Arrested Development" and really just looking at him makes me laugh. But I think that if you are into comedy, and aren't easily offended you too will find this movie hilarious. It is a smart, witty, sometimes raunchy comedy but I absolutely loved it.

Sat: I spent the day chillin in my bed, which was wonderful. I had a movie channel preview weekend, so I watched some movies I hadn't seen, and re-watched some that I loved. That evening I got together with some of my girls for a dinner at a fabulous restaurant in downtown Culver City. I met up with one of them for some pre-dinner wine at a lovely wine bar where our beautiful French waiter kept touching me...he could have been my "something new" but i'm pretty certain that he was gay, and if its even a question...i'll pass. Then we got up with the rest of the girls and had the most "Black Sex and the City" dinner conversation. It was great! One of them just got back from Egypt, and despite having 10+ degrees between us the questions were along the lines of: Did you see any mummys? Did you see any hieroglyphics? Did people walk around like the Bangels "walk like an egyptian" video? Did they play that song at the club? After attempting to reduce Egypt to every disney movie stereotype we knew, we covered the usual topics, sex, relationships, shopping, hair, work, and who invited which lames to the book club. Gotta love those girls.

Sun: I went to the meeting in the afternoon, despite having a massive caffeine withdrawl headache, attempted to work, but took a nap instead, and then went to the Teedra Moses concert with my friend D. I love D, known him since highschool, he is one of my most honest and non judgmental friends, we always have a great time when we get together, we have tons in common including a similar taste in men. Last night he provided me with the very useful service of advising me of who is on the downlow, I was saddened by some of his picks, but the reality was they were looking at him hard. He also introduced me to who may be the newest love of my life-his old college roommate, S. S is also fabulous, but he is one of those who I think could fool you re: his sexuality. He reminds me of so many men in LA, and had I not met him with D I might have just thought that he was your typical metro LA man. The three of us fell into banter like we'd known each other all our lives. Great times.
As for the concert...some rap group, El Prez, opened. And they embodied all that I hate about rap concerts-rapping over your own vocals, too many unnecessary people on stage, inarticulate rapping (i can always understand what common, black thought, mos def etc are saying live, why are all your words running together?) and all the irritating instructions (hands in air, call and response..I'm sorry am I performing or you?). Then this dude named Patrick Fennison...ehhhh. Then Mullatto....if you ever get word that they are playing in your town, go see them. They put on an amazing show if nothing else. Its a multi-ethnic full band, the white boy plays keys, tambourine, trumpet, and Lord knows what else...we deemed him the hardest working man of the night. They finally have a CD for sale, and even though its only 5 songs, i've been playing it over and over since last night. I am so hype for their rise to fame.
Then Teedra...I love her shows! She always sounds and looks amazing. She had on this dress last night! H-O-T...I want that dress for my cruise! S said about her, "Keysha Cole has her [Teedra's] career." I think that's true, she really should be what/where K. Cole is.

All in all it was a great weekend.

As a sort of random aside, there was a lot of talk this weekend about wearing white this wknd and next since its labor day and therefore the last opportunity to wear it. I don't own many all white things, that's not really my look. But I wonder how many people subscribe to this notion, still? I know 2 of my 4 readers (lol) are east coast people and that these sorts of fashion rules are written in stone out there, but do west coast ppl care and or abide by this "rule"? Besides what are the consequences if I choose to wear white the weekend of September 15? Will I be issued a citation? Will people point and stare? Will I be tarred and feathered? Just curious.

2 comments:

Vickilyn said...

GIRL I tucked my white purse away last night! Don't think I'll need it much this week! It's true on the east coast!

jendayi said...

yes it is very true on the east. don't get caught in white or you WILL be tarred and feathered!

love the new look!