Saturday, September 01, 2007

"All By Myself"

I'm a girl, and like all girls I go out in groups, or at the very least with one other girl. I need someone to validate my outfit, someone to whisper to when ppl are staring at us, someone to laugh when I point out laughable outfits, hairstyles/cuts, gold fronts etc...Someone to talk to in between conversations with strangers, someone to save me from conversations with strangers...its what girls do when we go out.

Last night I became a woman.

This chick that I was supposed to go out with came down with a headache just moments before we were supposed to go out. I was all dressed and ready to go when she told me that she wasn't going and I had already told some people that I would be up there. So I had to make some decisions, the two ppl that I thought might come out hadn't exactly vowed to meet me, and I knew one of them to be notoriously late, so I could either go and wait and see if R would meet me, or call him and try to coordinate our arrival times.

I opted to just go and let be whatever was going to be. I got there just before 11, grabbed a drink, did my standard walk around the venue to see who or what I could see, found a spot to settle, in my usual circle lounge (this was the 3J spot, the venue and the circle lounge itself, many a laugh was had here), where I could hear the music and chilled. I drank, I danced, joked with a chick that was sitting near me, and all around had a good time all by dang self! R showed up a little over an hour later we relocated to the patio, chatted and ppl watched outside.

I left him briefly to go inside and all of a sudden couldn't get three feet without being stopped by someone. I told R how strange it was since, I had been there for an hour all by my lonesome-no one talked to me, some looks, but no one actually approached me, now all of a sudden everyone has something to say. He explained that since I had now been spotted with a man I was now a commodity. Hmmm. Interesting.

It was a fun evening. I was very proud of myself for going out dolo, and having a good time by myself. I told R that with 1J already gone and another on the way out of CA, I need to prepare myself to get used to going out alone.

I'm a woman, I can take it.

2 comments:

Vickilyn said...

AWWW congrats! Going out alone. . .I definitely have to be in a mood to do it. But you meet a few more people that you might not ordinarily meed when you do that.

jendayi said...

this preparation is something serious! i feel like i need to start practicing too though. i can probably do everything but go to a club/lounge by myself. actually nope. i've done that before. i went to pearl dolo. (where did this 'dolo' word come from?) but it's definitely something to make a woman out of you.

watch. before you know it, you'll have a new J. just watch!