Friday, October 19, 2007

Lovely San Francisco

Once again I had to travel to SF for a court appearance. The weather was surprisingly warm and wonderful.
Something about being in San Francisco makes me need to buy something. I need to eat at delicious resturants and I need to buy things. I think its the fog, or maybe the fresh air coming off the water that whispers "Go to Union Square...buy something cute..."

So as soon as court was over (nevermind the fact that it was the most useless court appearance I have ever been too, it lasted all of 20 minutes, though I could have left about 2 minutes in after they passed out what was essentially the Judges rulings) I ran out and caught a cab to Union Square. I had intended to try some local restuarant, but it was 2:30 and I hadn't eaten all day and couldn't be bothered to try to discover a tasty place to eat, so I went to my old favorite Cheese Cake Factory and had a delicious lunch. There were two men sitting near me and one was a bit effeminate and so I mentally declared them to be gay and on a date. As I overheard their convo (yes I was eavesdropping, I was eating alone, what else was I supposed to be doing?) turns out one of them was recently married and they were collegues, or old classmates or perhaps even relatives. The point was they weren't gay, or at least one of them wasn't, and I thought about how sad it is that I see two men eating together and I automatically peg them as homosexuals. Granted its SF so I guess I would always lead toward that supposition, but still its sad.

After lunch I hit up nearly all 8 floors of the Macy's Woman's Store...some lipstick and boots later, I headed over to H&M. All in all I didn't do too much damage. But it was a lovely day. And this time I made friends with some lovely ladies while I was boot shopping, Yvette and her friend.

My friend S left work early to grab a drink with me. She is always a highlight of my trips north. She is actually dating someone that she calls her "boyfriend" they have moved in together. He has a kid that he keeps every other weekend or some such, they have just turned into a regular little family. Which is nuts to me. S is NOT the "boyfriend" kind, definitely not a live in boyfriend type, and most assuredly not a stepmom...she redeemed herself as the S I know and love when she said that she told the BF that his daughter couldn't come over until she was over head lice. Head lice??!!?? There is no cure or vaccine for that yet? I didn't know ppl still got that, is she going to come up with Rubella and Whopping Cough next? She said its all good with this new life, but the kid does complicate things, and although shes nice to her, S is not interested in being mommy #2. Another friend of mine is dating a guy with kids. I guess we're at that age where the men in our lives are more prone to come complete with kids. I have always been against the "just add Jennifer ready made family". But it is a reality of our age I guess.

So i'm headed out to grab a drink with a friend. Tomorrow I am attending my first meeting with my undergrad as a member of the board of alumni, and movie night with J. Should be a good weekend. Take it easy folks.

1 comment:

Vickilyn said...

Sounds like you had some good "girly" me time!!! I have been fortunate in the men w/o kids category. So I agree that there are fewer and farer between but don't give up hope if you know that a man w/ kids isn't for you. . . BUT also don't knock a man b/c he has kids. You may be pleasantly surprised.