Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Searching for my best friend...

I don't know when it happened but I have become obsessesd with bling. I mean, I all of a sudden NEED diamonds in my life. Of course no average sized diamond will do, so I've been researching how to get the biggest stones for the buck. For the moment obiously fake shiny baubles have made for a suitable stand in, they are shiny and fun.

But how to get the same sizes and same shine without having to save for the rest of my life?

Plus I really don't like the idea of the lives and limbs lost mining the diamonds or Debeers near criminal stranglehold on the industry and artificial "rarity" of diamonds. I am even bothered by the notion that only a diamond can signify love devotion and fidelity-dont get it twisted no man of mine would be fool enough to ask my hand without a ring that had a substantial stone, but does he love me less if that stone is an emerald? Or a pearl? Who said that a diamond specifically had to be used? DeBeers. Even with that reservation I do think that I would prefer that the ring that I wear for the rest of my life to signify that I am hitched in fact be a diamond.

A couple years ago, while in law school and in love and contemplating the very real possibility of marrying someone, I started researching DeBeers alternatives, and discovered the then fledgling industry of man made diamonds. The science had very recently been refined and was just beginning to be used in the creation of jewelry.

Fastforward a few years I'm dolo and the science has been perfected and is being used in a variety of applications not just jewelry. As we all know natural diamonds are made as a result of years of intense pressure and the confluence of the necessary elements, temperature, pressure and time. Like darn near all else, science has figured out a way to replicate all those variables in a lab and create/"grow" diamonds with the same properties as near flawless natural diamonds (same light refraction, can cut glass etc) in a fraction of the time it takes to grow in nature and at a fraction of the cost.

I'm all in.

Diamondnexuslabs.com

3 comments:

jendayi said...

it's funny how obsessions have you doing large amounts of research... go head with your science facts Jenn.

jendayi said...

so can you send me a short email on why I shouldn't pursue real diamonds? I need to be educated.

T.a.c.D said...

hot damn, she has found a way to cut the bedazzling time in HALF!
That's awesome