Wednesday, February 04, 2009

American Idol

Some of you may not know this, but I am a bit obsessed with American Idol. Not like I purchase the winners music, or vote weekly (I only vote in the finale if I care about the result), or anything like that. I just don't miss an episode, I love the competition of it all, and the feeling of "I could've sung that", to me it's just a good time. When I lived in Virginia my surrogate family and I used to get together weekly to watch the show. Now that I'm back on my beloved coast I wanted to rekindle that feeling of watching it together with my old fam so I started typing up my thoughts on the show as each contestant performed. Now not only does the fam read my ramblings, but thier co-workers, bosses, friends etc, all get a forwarded copy. The couple times that I missed last year-did not go over well. So anyway I thought I would post up my thoughts here as well, in case any of you are also AI watchers, or have ever wondered what watching TV with me is like.

It’s finally here-Hollywood Week!! Yay!

Only 147 ppl out of 100,000…wow.

Idol bootcamp, Barry Manilow (why is he always so available? Does he never have anything to do? Does he need money? And he stole Oprah’s line: “Luck is when the preparation meets opportunity”)

This 8 in a row, pass the mic down business is brutal. One shot and if it’s no good you go home…eesh.

Lil-why sing Witney? Just why? As Simon always says you’ll never be as good, so what’s the point? But she was good and adorable.

Dennis-aka-scary eye/teeth kid. Yes his face said possessed, and voice wasn’t hot. Ok and the mocking Simon when you get cut-really? Is that still the hotness for season 8? He is rich and you are a nobody…calm yourself down little boy. Aside for which you have far more pressing concerns like that grill of yours.

Nathaniel-pierced kid-Didn’t he sing some random song at auditions as well? And does he have on a headband? He does. He sounded great, but the continued crying makes me want him cut.

Anoop, the Indian boy!!! I love him! He is my fav!

Jasmine-cute girl, sounded lovely. But some what forgettable.

Rose-“Hi guys, its me Rose.” She is on something…or is she prego? She didn’t realize that other ppl would be able to sing…b/c she’s never seen this show, or?? Her awkward movements crack me up. She is folksy, but I fear that might be her only trick.

Stephen-black guy with fro-sang one of my favorite songs, Stevie’s “Where were you when you I needed you, like right now” Ooooh I love it.

Jorge-the eyebrows guy from Puerto Rico…did you see those things, they grew into his sideburns. (and why did Kara call him George? His name is JORGE, get it right!)

Von-Wow there sprite, that was A LOT.

Nick-Norman, the gay comic/singer/irritator/nasal singer…the sad thing is that he took someone’s spot to come act silly. AND that he can kinda sorta sing in a way, if he just sang without all the sillyness. But man he is not easy on the eyes.

Oh, the blind guy made it. I’m glad they didn’t spend forever on him. They are too heavy handed with the sob stories.

The mini Ford commercial in the middle of this episode….Forreal?! Ford we know you need to move some cars, we are bailing you out and all, but wasn’t there a more economical/environmentally friendly way of getting almost 75 ppl through LA, then 3 at a time in your stupid trucks? This is the kind of wasteful indulgence that required your bailing out in the first place. Sheesh.

Jackie-The rocker chick from LA…all the drama/Janis Joplin mimicry…could you just sing please.

Jamar-the pierced cheek boy with the best friend-I thought he was great. I’m wondering if he could have incorporated any more patterns or prints into his outfit though…maybe some cow print, or giraffe skin would’ve been hot.

Danny-the widower-also sounded great. And I love his glasses.

OMG this dag blasted bikini girl, not again. Eww and she is from my old hood…actually that’s about right. (I hate Kara’s hair today, and what is with Paula’s ruffles?) She did start off well, but it didn’t end well…and still she got through. Has it been long enough to establish that I loathe her?

Oil rig guy-He is a big boy, I like it. He sounded good. Big corn fed, works with his hands white boy that sings…lucky wife! (as long as she has a good insurance plan on him…his job is dangerous.)

Jesus (not Christ, but the Spanish guy with kids) -he’s ok. Not bad, but nothing too exciting. I can see why he got cut.

I’m bothered by this Osmond kid-he’s an Osmond, why does he need this show?

Emily-she was dumb. You practice a song, and then make a game time decision to switch to a NO DOUBT song? Gwen Stefani can’t really sing, she can scream, but that’s about it…she got lucky to get through.

Wow they only cut 43 ppl in that round. They need to get to cutting a little harder, starting with the ghetto black girl with the bad wig that they keep advertising…I have a feeling she is going to make me sad to be black, and/or a wearer of wigs.

I might write about tomorrow’s show just because I love group day!

2 comments:

mia. said...

"...she is going to make me sad to be black, and/or a wearer of wigs."

*dead*

Your post made actual sad that I don't watch the show... I would have loved to have seen what you were talking about...

T.a.c.D said...

i would have NEVER thought you were an American Idol person...CLASSIC...