Sunday, February 15, 2009

Music Notes...

Is it bad that I like the new Ludicris song ft. Plies (I loathe plies, really and truly I do) because despite its rote subject matter-she hot freak nasty and can't get enough of me despite the fact that I am also putting it down on several other chicks at the same time cause I'm so prolific and energetic and a man-at least some of the women are professional, a doctor and a lawyer. I can't remember the last time a professional woman is shouted out in a rap song as a good thing...wait is there a Jay-Z song? Well either way I semi appreciated the song. Don't judge me.

This Stanky Legg business...makes me sad to be black and/or a doer of video dances (for you Mia :). I feel like the creators of this dance should be younger. Like a lot younger. These seem like actual physical adults that have created a dance that is called the Stanky Legg and includes the lyrics "Do the booty do". And they say we need more musical education in schools. Pfsh.

Why is Plies ALWAYS corrupting classics!? Who signs off on this? Babyface, The Deele, have you heard this crap with Ashanti and Plies? Shameful, just shameful. Clearly someone needs better lawyers.

I've been meaning to be bitter about this "My President is Black" nonsense. It's like a horrible, R-rated, grammatically incorrect Sesame Street song to help kids learn colors-"My president is black, my Lambo is blue and I be got dam*ed if my rims ain't to, my money is light green and my Jordans is red." Any other colors you can name Jeezy? What color is the sky? The sun? What about snow? Do you know your numbers? Perhaps your next song can include a section counting things. This classic piece of american music also includes the innovative, spiritual and deeply reverential line "Tell my nephews and nieces I will email Jesus, tell him to forward to Moses and CC Allah." He clearly needs our prayers, and our used speak and spells.

I skipped the rest of that mess.

My sister happened upon some really cheap tickets to see Babyface last night. Yes, Valentine's night. Babyface concert. On Valentine's. Babyface was surprisingly energetic. I was expecting him to sit behind a piano, maybe a stool with a guitar. Turns out he likes to move around the stage, interact with the band etc. I've never thought that Babyface had the best voice, it's a decent voice, but he writes his songs to his strengths-which is also what I say about Ne-yo who in 20 years will be Babyface. When he ran through a melody of all the songs he's written and produced for ppl I realized that any song that I've liked in the last 20 years has been written by Babyface. The man is amazing. And he wasn't to schmaltzy due to it being Valentine's which I really appreciated. He shouted out love and couples a couple times but for the most part he kept it light which was nice.

I also went to my girl's party this weekend. It was big fun, and apparently I was a hot commodity (check me out on facebook yo!) holla! Despite there being nothing new to look at it was a fun time with all my girls and thier girls...we all got dressed together, had some pre-party cocktails. Sometimes I forget what its like to have a whole group of girls. I keep my circle pretty small not necessarily on purpose it just happens that way...actually it's a little on purpose since lots of women=lots of drama. Nevertheless I had a great time with a crowd of about 10 girls, with little to no drama.

Hope all is well with you all!

2 comments:

mia. said...

I shamefully admit that I do enjoy Nas' verse in My President's Black. Am I kicked out of the crew?

ALSO, I'm really feeling Luda's line in that Monica song:

"I may have done the things they said I did, but I'm not who they say I am."

Ghetto wisdom.

T.a.c.D said...

i must admit i can't stand Piles either but i do think the song is aiight...i appreciate anyone that appreciates us for doing our thang...lol...but he does need to BACK OFF THE CLASSICS i mean really!